Advantech’s Industrial Communication Solution Helps Build Stable Data Network Infrastructure for Russia’s Electronic Toll Collection System
Market: Intelligent Transportation SystemLocation: RussiaPartner: Corson Technologies
Moreover, the customer had a zero-tolerance policy for system downtime. Thus, the Russian Government would impose a large fine against the system integrator in the event of a system failure.
- Each site consists of an overhead toll gantry with sensors and a control box installed on it.
- Each lane has a video camera installed for license plate recognition.
- Laser scanners are also installed to acquire information on passing vehicles (e.g., dimensions and weight) to ensure that license plates are not swapped to avoid toll payment, and to obtain data from RFID readers fitted to the car windshields in order to process toll payments.
- RFID readers are fixed to car windshields to provide GPS tracking between checkpoints and to spool data to the main system when passing under a read station.
Furthermore, Advantech offers a compatible integration of vision system industrial PCs and network switches. At each checkpoint site, AIIS-5410P systems are used to host several Linux virtual machines that serve multiple functions such as license plate recognition and car profile scanning/recognition. Meanwhile, EKI-7428G-4CI managed switches are utilized to aggregate data flows from various devices, including the vision system industrial PCs, IP cameras, and RFID readers, and form an X-Ring Pro, Advantech’s self-developed data redundancy technology, with EKI-7720G-4FI managed switches to further ensure network stability. Finally, EKI-7720G-4FI managed switches pass data to the control room for monitoring and advanced analysis.
By using Advantech’s X-Ring Pro technology, the system integrator was able to conveniently establish a redundant Ethernet network with an ultra-high speed recovery time of less than 20 ms. This ensured that the data gathered from each checkpoint would be safely transmitted to the control room without interruption and that the likelihood of system downtime would be eliminated.
- EKI-7428G-4CI: 24 PoE Gigabit ports + 4 Gigabit Copper/SFP Combo Ports Managed Redundant Industrial Ethernet Switch
- EKI-7720G-4FI: 16 Gigabit Ethernet ports + 4 SFP Ports Managed Redundant Industrial Ethernet Switch
- AIIS-5410P: Fanless Vision System with Intel® Core™ iProcessor, 4-ch GigE PoE Camera Interface, and PCIe Slot